Thursday, December 31, 2009

Give Yourself Away

Watch Papaw's New Year's Resolutions.

"A new year's resolution is something that goes in one year and out the other." -Some wise cracker.

I don't really believe that, but there is some truth to it. But, if I did not think that change was possible, improvement was attainable, goals achievable, the New Year would not be worth celebrating.

I love new starts. I love the idea that one can dream, and then do the work it takes to attain that dream or goal. So what is this year's dream for me? What will 2010 bring?

I have to throw in the obligatory "lose ten pounds." That's just my tradition. Of course if I didn't gain it all back then I could never do that goal again. That would be kind of sad right?

There's usually some kind of "make more money" type goal, some lofty spiritual quest, and a highly challenging goal to create a certain number of paintings, songs, journal entries, etc.

What will make this year different? What will set this year apart as the one when I have the discipline to do the work, hang in there through the hard times, get going when the going gets tough?

Well, to start with, I'm writing it all down right here so that all ten or so of you reading this will know. So when you see me, please ask me how it's going. And I'm talking about in June or so. No, better make it around March. That's usually about the time my memory starts wearing thin.

Also, my whole church is in on it too. We've been challenged to declare a Mitzvot for ourselves this year. My interpretation if it is a worthy goal. Here is Pastor Dan's explanation of it.

My Goals for 2010 are:

Create a show that changes people's lives.

Integrate sharing Holt International's message that every child deserves a loving home at my performances.

Finish reading the Chronological Bible that I have already begun reading.

Lose ten pounds and keep it off by integrating better habits into my diet and workout regiment. Have been between 155 and 165 for most of the year on December 31st, 2010.

Give myself away by accurately recording what I experience, and by God's grace, create something uniquely beautiful, from it.

The most rewarding activity one can undertake in this life is to freely give of one's self. This is a wellspring of fresh inspiration, a renewal, a profound pick me up. When we follow Christ's example of generosity of self, we are rewarded exponentially.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"The most rewarding activity one can undertake in this life is to freely give of one's self." What a great line... well said! Here is to new ideas, new dreams, new successes, new rewards, and to a new year in Christ.