Monday, December 28, 2009

What's Next?

So it has almost been a year since I began writing Start Somewhere. That has me thinking, what's next? Video blogs? Music Monday? Mammaw Monday? Tasty Tuesday? Where are we now Wednesday? Therapy Thursday? Funny Friday? Fitness Friday? Follow me Friday? Fix up your old furniture Friday? It's time to take it to the next level, and I want your input.

It all started with this gut feeling that I should write. Sometimes I would think I wanted to write a book. Other times I thought I should write songs. I've even considered that one day I might be one of those lucky people who go to exotic islands and get paid to write about their experience. But mostly I just knew that I wanted to improve as a writer; and to do that, I simply needed to write more.

My wife, Amanda, and our pastor, Dan Scott, had both encouraged me to write, and I was also inspired by my dear friend, Stephanie Kling.

So then Amanda's cousin, Jeremy Shore, (also a blogger) sat down with me and helped me set up my blogger account (which is free and easy) and off I went.

What have I learned? That writing regularly takes thought, discipline, and time. And that you might end up having to write whether you feel inspired or not. In other words, that inspiration often comes after effort. I've also learned how to post pictures, add links, that without spell check I can't spell exercise, and that I can proofread something ten times and on the eleventh time I will find a glaring error. Oh, and that I really do love the written word, even if it is my own rambling.

At first I said I wanted to write three times a week; that didn't last very long. But I am glad to have written as much as I have, and I generally consider the first year of Start Somewhere to be a success. Some months I have been more prolific than others. Some of you have commented, thanks. Some have become followers, thanks. Some of you have told me in person that you laughed at something you read or found something inspirational. And I thank you too.

If you have a reason that you like my blog, what is it? If there are some things you wish I would shut up about what are they? What could I do better? I'm not promising I'll listen, maybe I'm just curious. Nothing is off limits. Except nudity. You must be fully clothed while posting your comments.

If you have left comments about my blog on my Facebook status or in the notes section of my Facebook page, would you consider clicking here to go directly to my blog and leave your comments there? You can also get there by going to the news section at stacybeam.com. It just keeps everything in one place and generally creates a more interesting blog.

If you have tried to post comments to Start Somewhere and you have had problems, what are they? You may just need to get a gmail account, which is free and very easy. Just click this link and follow the directions.

Finally, I would also like to ask you to officially follow Start Somewhere by clicking follow to the right of my page. Then, share my blog with your friends if you haven't already. Got all that? If you don't do it I'm gonna send one of my Start Somewhere staff thugs to your house in the middle of the night.

I'm telling you, she'll do it.

2 comments:

Norris Hall said...

Well, you ASKED for input, so...
I always enjoy reading your entries and look forward to the next one. You are a funny guy and I really like it when you throw in the funny stuff. So "more funny stuff!"
You don't have to do "organ" jokes! You probably shouldn't do "organ" jokes. In fact, forget I mentioned anything about your organ.

Anonymous said...

Well today is officially the first day that I've read anything and I've only read "What's Next" and "I Believe". I want to encourage you to keep them coming, whatever they are, however they are presented. "You might have to write whether you feel inspired or not"... this I have learned myself this past year. And I love the fact that another writer cannot spell exercise without spell check! Ha! Thank you for sharing. Blessings to you and your sweet Amanda!