Sunday, April 5, 2009

Daniel Smith

This week I had the disturbing experience of finding out a friend died by reading through the comments on an old photo. I experienced an emotional flood of shock (he was only 34), guilt that I hadn't made a better effort to keep in touch, and pain over what seems so unfair.

After reading his blog, patdanielsmith.blogspot.com, what I knew of Daniel became even more apparent. This is a funny, strong, wise, and faithful man who kept his focus on Jesus till the very end... and God did not heal him. There are so many who rock along through life never giving a thought to the eternal and it seems like they can't do anything wrong!

Mouth cancer. Didn't smoke, didn't dip, ran marathons and paid close attention to everything he ate. If this doesn't cause you to do a double take, I don't know what will.

It wasn't that long ago that we were on stage together cracking each other up at Dollywood just having a ball, and now he is gone. If I could have known this was coming and told him then to do something different, what would it have been? No idea.

I don't know why, but something about Holy Week usually renders me an emotional time bomb, and this is no exception. I'm getting ready to go to church right now. I pray that God will open my mind to allow his wisdom to permeate my own and supersede my doubts and fear.

If Daniel could speak to us now, I wonder what he would say? He has seen heaven. It's real. Life is fleeting, get it right!

No comments: