Sunday, January 10, 2010

It's Not You, It's Me


Lately I have been reading Pride and Prejudice. Honestly, it is kind of a tough read for me so far. I guess I'm trying to fill in the blanks left over from my days as a high school slacker who could barely be motivated to read by a gun pointed at my head.

Jane Austen's language is like this wonderful flourless chocolate cake that Amanda makes. You have to take little bites. The cake will make you go cross-eyed it's so dense, and insanely decadent. I'm working on my pallet to expand my reading taste for great literature.

I'm pretty good at liking the cake, so surely if I keep reading what generations before me have deemed to be great, then I will start to "get it" at some point. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

Our pastor introduced this concept with us at church regarding reading the Bible. He used the example of the beginning of Mathew's gospel. If a modern editor had spoken with the author of this book, he surely would have told Mathew that starting out with a a tedious account of lineage was hardly the best way to hook readers into what he had to say.

But it's there, and we have to consider that God wanted it there for a reason. We then must ask why. Maybe our taste for lineage needs to be cultivated. That is a clue!

Lord, please help me not to be so selfish as to consider your word boring. In other words, it's not you, it's me.

No comments: