Sunday, May 31, 2009

Our Four-legged Family

Where in the world would we be without them? They make us laugh, they love us when no one else really notices, they help us get our exercise, calm us down, cheer us up, they guide us into better versions of our former selves, they fill our lives with meaning,.. OK, and some poop.



This is Image. He is a twenty-five year old Morgan gelding who belongs to my good friends. He is very fat, and he founders often. For you non horse people, that is a problem with the hooves that happens to fat, spoiled horses with some regularity, but if not taken care of, can be pretty serious. He gave my brother a job when he was a colt because he needed a little training. Come to think of it, he gave me a job a few times when I got to give him his water, oats and hay, when his mom and dad were out of town. The truth is, my family's long love affair with horses probably had more to do with bringing my dear friend's, his owners into my life than just about anything. Thanks Image.



This is Fred. He is a dog of extremes. The most obvious extreme is his size. Medium sized ponies are terrified of him. He can toot the foulest, sling the most slobber, eat the most rotisserie chickens, Vienna sausages, and jumbo dog treats, and snore the loudest of any dog I have ever known -by far.



That's Poo Bear eating a golden delicious. He just showed up one day with his mom and nobody had the heart to make him leave. I think that has a lot to do with his uncharacteristically furry face.



These are my dad's cows. Just looking at them gives me a sense of calm. They have the opposite effect on our dog, Ginny.



This is Ginny's friend, Lucy. She's kind of a tornado of affection and sweet Golden-doodle love.



This is Ginny and Amanda. They let me live with them. I can't begin to describe how much I love this picture and the two hot babes in it. They're my pin-up girls.

No comments: