Thursday, May 21, 2009

Just Imagine


I've had a lot of creative energy lately. I've been working on everything from recording a new CD project, to restoring yard sale furniture to sell online, to writing this blog. I feel like I had about a four year period where creating felt more like a chore than anything else, and it sure feels good to remember what it feels like to be truly exited about a new idea, be it musical, or whatever.

The CD will be released in June, and it is swingin', instrumental, high energy, and full of my personality, if you like that kind of thing. It is the kind of music I want to put on when there's a group of friends over and you feel like dancing or just laughing and having a good time. Even though it is technically the music I play at horse shows, you don't have to be at a horse show to get it. I guess when I think about what I do at the shows, I'm really playing more for the people who don't know a canter from a cantaloupe than I am for the die hard horse crowd who might not know I was there if it weren't for the rare occasion that I have to get up for a bathroom break and they think "Hey why did it get so quiet and boring all of the sudden?"

What has changed? I think somehow I've just been listening better. Inspiration is everywhere if you can get outside of yourself long enough to experience it. (Now here is the part of the blog where I go on about how cool my church is.. you knew it was coming.) Christopher Phillips plays the piano at Christ Church among many other things. I know that God has opened up a new world of inspiration to me because I not only get to hear him play and listen to his awesome arrangements for the smokin' worship band and amazing choir, but he is my friend. So that means I get to ask him stuff like "What was that chord that made that totally hum drum hymn you played this morning sound so out-of-this-world fantastic?" and he just shows me. I love it.

I'll be writing more about this later, but Amanda and I have a new business that we feel really passionate about. It is based on our philosophy that you do not have to be rich to have a beautiful home. We are awakening the potential in pieces that were thought to be past their prime. I will keep you posted with pics and how you can get the cool one-of-a-kind tables, chairs, art, basically -Pottery Barn meets Anthropology but less expensive and all original.

So, that's what I'm up to. All of that with a headache seventy-five percent of the time. Just imagine what I'm gonna be doing when the Lord heals me of these flippin' things!

1 comment:

james said...

your slogan could be: "we don't create beauty, we reveal it."

There's a plastic surgeon in Birmingham with the same slogan.