Sunday, March 8, 2009

If at First You Don't Succeed

Here I am on the third and last day of my first horseshow of the year. We're just outside San Antonio in the Mayberry-like town of Boerne, pronounced "Bernie." We've eaten some tasty food, discovered some unique shoppes, and I've begun to get familiar with a new keyboard after yesterday's seven or so hours of accompanying American Saddlebreds, Arabians, a Clydesdale and a miniture horse dressed as a "saddle-doodle."

Two months of no shows combined with energetic horse judges and ringmasters requesting everything from gregorian chant to Freebird left me feeling pretty toasted by nine o'clock last night when Amanda and I sat down to have the chocolate brownie pie at Chili's. We we're at Chili's because everything else was closed. The waiter wasted no time squatting at our table and draping himself over one end, which is toward the top of my waiter annoyance list. I digress.

I guess if this short little blog has a point, it might be summed up by a funny quote offered to me years ago by my Mammaw Beam. It is "If at first you don't succeed, just keep on suckin' till you do suck-seed."

No comments: