Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Hope


Hope is everywhere. Yet we choose to look in a different direction. The spring is overflowing with hopeful symbols. This is the first Daffodil I saw a few weeks ago at my Mammaw Nita Ann's front porch. When I look into my Amanda's face I am filled with hope if I really stop to think that she truly loves me while knowing so much about me. Some people find hope in a passion for old cars. That old yet to be discovered Thunderbird that is just waiting to be restored to its former glory.

One fundamental element of hope is its focus. It is about the journey, not the destination. It is the great possibility of tomorrow.

If you are fixed on your current problems, I encourage you to remember something that makes you feel hopeful and spend some focused time there. In Dan Miller's "48 Days to the Work You Love" there is great insight into getting out of the "rat race" or job you hate and discovering the place where God wants you to be. I believe that if God saw fit to make you, then He gave you a specific calling and you can discover it if you will listen. Miller's latest book is called "No More Mondays."

If your life is totally consumed with staring at a clock waiting for your job to be over, then I believe that is a clue that you need to read one of those books. If you are one of the one's who's Facebook update is some version of "Can't wait till Friday" or "Dreading work" or "Hurry five o'clock," I'm betting that you may not be much fun to be around.

Find your hope. It is out there. There are plenty of good reasons to work in a job you might not like in order to fulfill the next step toward a larger goal. We all have bills and obligations, but if your soul is not being fed, you're dead. And nobody likes dead people.

2 comments:

Growing up girl said...

Awesome! What a great perspective.
Very well said. Have a great day!
Love you guys,
Beverly

Stacey Wilson said...

This is terrific! My mom just found her hope!! She is currently working out her 2 week notice at her nursing job of 32 years - WOW! I can't imagine being with the same boss and staff for that long. Mom realized that her body just couldn't do it any longer. She is like a newborn songbird! I am so pleased for her peace. You're right, no one likes dead people!! Let's make everyday a great day - the choice is ours!