Sunday, February 22, 2009

What a Difference You Made in My Life



Several of my friends were at a conference in Texas last week and I have been there vicariously through reading their remarks via Twitter. The energy was palatable all the way from there to Murfreesboro. One of the quotes they sent has been ringing in my head ever since I read it: "Someone was dealt the same hand as you in life, and they are winning with it."

As I looked through my photos this morning I came across these. As a kid, I remember singing with Ronnie Milsap's song, "What a Difference You've Made in My Life," on eight track to the top of my lungs in my Mammaw Nita Ann's beige Oldsmobile. The feeling I still get when I listen to this man perform is indescribable.

We know Ronnie is blind, think about what that means. Just consider walking through life in the dark.



A few months ago, I got to hear him in concert and he's SO still got it. He recalled a time as a young man when he got to meet his hero, Ray Charles. Ray said, "Son, they's a lot a music in you." Can you imagine that moment!?

My Papaw Harold told me many times that you can always look around and find someone who "has it worse" than you. I know that is true. I admit, I have wasted time thinking about the hand I've been dealt. That is ridiculous! Don't ever do it.

For Lent, I am giving up my habit of wasting time with futile thinking and comparing myself to others.

No comments: