Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Time is Now


Somehow I can always figure out a way to avoid the moment. Why? Is it habit? Is it easier? Hmm, yes and it does take less effort. We lull ourselves into a state of numb existence by filling our calendars with activity and filling our heads with TV, YouTube, food, and more TV.

I think about spring when it's winter, and fall when it's summer. I think about something I said that maybe I shouldn't have. I think of something someone else said that I wish they hadn't. I think of how it's going to be when I have more money, time, inspiration... What it will be like when we have children, a different house, other clothes. You name it, and I have probably worried about it.

Well, scripture tells us not to worry about tomorrow, for it has trouble enough of its own. (Mathew 6:25-34) We have to grab the now. We have to look around at the opportunities that are in front of us. We have to love the one, or ones, we're with. We have to pay attention to the needs around us. We have to stop worrying about what we are supposed to do and read the Bible, see what God's word says to do, and just do it. It ain't rocket surgery.

Love your neighbor as yourself... the greatest commandment. Love your wife. Love your husband. Love your family. Love your friends. They are right in your face!

Engage. Listen. Love. Put on kindness, gentleness, patience. Share peace and encouraging words. Be thankful. Show forgiveness.

This may sound a bit random; it is just what I'm thinking right now. My sweet Grandma, Mammaw Nita Ann found out yesterday that she is no longer a candidate for a kidney transplant and this has been understandably difficult for her. It seems her health isn't what it should be to ensure that the operation could be successful. We have many dear friends who are struggling with relationship problems and troubles of all kinds. Tough situations always spur me back to the basics. Back to the essential truths of the gospel. The timeless, ageless truth that has been sufficient for generations before me.

When are we supposed to live out our faith? The time is now.

1 comment:

Stacey Wilson said...

Stacy, Stacy . . . this was a very powerful blog entry. Thanks for writing what I think about so often - the unimportant stuff that gets in our way of living faith. Thanks for the ever important reminder of looking right in front of my face at my husband, family, friends, and the wonderful natural scenery that God provides, the bountiful outdoors. You are awesome. I am so fortunate to call you FRIEND. Keep inspiring people -keep writing!