Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Don't Jump!

This morning I thought, if my life had a remote, I would probably fast forward through this part. It’s gloomy, I have a dull headache, and I have to make a two-hour drive in that kind of nasty cold mist that never fits any of the settings on my windshield wipers.

Why is my brain so connected to the weather? What I’m really asking is: How is it that a few days ago I was ready to sign up as team captain for the race to the moon, and today, I want to bury myself alive? The difference? Twenty degrees, clouds and rain. Nothing else has really changed!

What does that tell me? Emotions can lie. They are real, and there is a good reason that we have them. They can cause real pain. They have the potential to lead us off deadly cliffs or to soaring mountaintops. They can be a valuable consultant, but not a program director.

Emotions have lead people to say hurtful words that could have been avoided with some thought. They have ruined perfectly good relationships. They have led otherwise good people into promiscuity, and have even convinced people that love was dead when it was only buried beneath layers of hurt.

They have also been that extra push needed to win gold medals, break world records, even save innocent lives. Some of the greatest art is inspired by the darkest of emotions, and the quest for happiness, or to escape pain, has caused some of the darkest of human behaviors.

So today my theme song is “The sun’ll come out tomorrow.” I know that today I probably shouldn't make any major decisions. On days like this I tell the Lord: “I know you didn’t give me a remote control for a good reason… but what is it I’m supposed to be learning today?” Maybe it is so somebody could read this and avoid jumping off a cliff somewhere. If that’s you, please comment. Maybe it’ll help me decide not to jump. jk

No comments: