Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Start Somewhere

I've gotten a lot of things done in my life simply by starting somewhere. I guess you could say anything I've done, I had to start somewhere. That has been sort of a mantra (if a Christian can have a mantra) to me especially when I'm at the beginning of something and I'm not sure where to start... I just say to myself "start somewhere." From relationships, to making money, to finding meaning in this life, you can't get anywhere without starting somewhere.

When I was a little boy, the first day of school was by far my favorite. I could just imagine all the kids that I would find in the desks beside me or on the playground outside who couldn't wait to find a friend like me. They would laugh at all of my jokes, they would need my help and I would be a true friend. So in my endeavor to seek out these friends, I said a prayer. "Lord help me to make friends." -Then off I'd go. Now sure I'd mess something up along the way, but I knew enough to know to ask for help and then go for it. When I finally met my sweet wife, Amanda, at the late age of 29, I had come to a point that I knew I did not want to keep living my life alone, or even worse with a bunch of guys, I started by taking an honest look at myself and trying to figure out what I needed to do to get ready for someone to join in with me, I asked for help, I worked out, worked on my confidence, read some books, tried to appear as appealing as possible and hoped for the best... and I got Amanda. More than I could have asked for.

When I think about how it is that I came to earn a living while not totally hating my job, I know there had to be some divine intervention. I have a degree from MTSU in music which puts me in the same boat as thousands of wanna-be's running around with some talent and dreams and a BS. Which in the real music industry amounts to a pile of BS. I found opportunities where I was, though. I guess I sort of bloomed where I was planted. I love old people and they usually love me. This started with my Mammaw. I played the piano at a lot of parties where there were lots of old people, country clubs, retirement homes, and churches that looked like retirement homes. Then I found that busses full of old people load up to visit places like "Dollywood" and Boca Raton and I found jobs entertaining more of them in those places. I found other people who I connected with in piano bars in NYC and church there as well. Since then I have found a whole lot of opportunities to play the organ for horse shows., yes horse shows. They happen all over the place and people are willing to pay good money for me to help fend off the inevitable boredom that comes from watching horses parade around for hours on end. I've learned to really enjoy it.

So what am I doing here? Well, I found some people I loved and who loved me. I found something I loved doing: playing music and relating to people, and I found places to do those things and get paid for it. So what does that mean? Well I think I started somewhere and ended up bringing joy to my life and others around me by meeting a need. Now what? I want to share it with more people. I want it to mean even more. I want to do it with better efficiency. How? Start somewhere. I'm making a blog to begin with. I have only read a few and I think it's a great idea. I have a lot to say and my sweet Amanda has heard a lot of it before. I have a great life, and a lot to share. I hope you will want to keep listening... And I hope if there is something you want to do and you don't know where to start, I hope you will start somewhere. Even if you mess up, well you'll know not to do that again.

3 comments:

Rich Swingle said...

Welcome to the blogsphere!

gk said...

Auspicious beginnings, Stacy!

http://www.last.fm/music/Jon+Brion/_/Gotta+Start+Somewhere

Anonymous said...

Stacy--you brought a lot of joy to Judie and me when were working together in New York.