Monday, January 26, 2009

Shoot High


I have a few sayings that I come back around to pretty often. One of them is, "Shoot for the stars and even if you miss, you might land at the top of a tree." OK... So I missed my goal of being named Country Music's Entertainer of the year by age thirty. I'm thirty-four. I admit, that was a blow. I have actually done a lot of things on that list, a few that I didn't even dare to dream.

I ran a marathon. Well, I mostly walked after about mile seventeen, but still... that's huge. Since then, I've adopted the idea that doing some kind of exercise is going to be a part of my regular routine until I am shriveled up. That was about seven years ago, and it has pretty much stuck. 

I don't go to a job I hate every day. That one is a very big deal to me. The work I do, for the most part, is deeply connected to my passion of relating to people on an emotional level, usually through music. Now there's always room for improvement. Of course it would be nice to make more money, have a butler, a driver, a stylist, you know, little things... but I'm pretty happy with things the way they are right now.

I travel a good bit. Amanda and I took off to Costa Rica this past summer, mostly for a fun and partly to visit "The Abraham Project," an orphanage our church sponsors. We've been to New York City so many times I can't even remember, and we even snuck in a week at Disney World, just to name a few.
 
I have my sweet family, a few incredible friends, the coolest dog on my street by far, two cars that run, a lot of great books, and I found love. And after five years she hasn't tried to leave me once! What could be better than that?

I am redeemed by the blood of Jesus.

So even if I didn't hit a star, I'd say I surely landed at the top of a tree, I might even be on the moon. And I'm not even close to finished.



 


4 comments:

Jessica said...

stacy, your blogs are proving to be both inspirational and fun to read... i'm really enjoying them!

Anonymous said...

Stacy,
I have been watching your career for a long time, and I am very proud of you and your commitment to your beliefs. You are a very transparent person in some respects. I encourage you to remain true to your convictions and keep "Aiming High".

Gary
2/11/09

Anonymous said...

I, for one, am so very grateful to have you around to remind me to just TRY. Always try. And you are such and example that it will only bring more joy to do this; you never know what you might catch while you're reaching. You are one of (if not the) most joyful people I know. And I attribute that to the fact that you submerge yourself in what you are excellent at, surround yourself with beautiful, peaceful things (AND cut the crud you do NOT need), and consider yourself still continually learning from what God and life throw and whisper at you.
Just the fact that you do not do something that you hate every day of your life is a HUGE testament that you have faith that there are greater things in life (much greater) to be spending your life on -- and, more importantly, that they are worth holding out for (even sacrificing some other things for). Real joy is not to be squandered, traded for and replaced by THINGS.
I don't know where you are on your climb. But it is an absolute fact in my mind that, while you've been making your way to that star, your constant kindness, joy, insight, liveliness, and attitude of acceptance has touched INNUMERABLE people on your way.

Donna Boyd said...

Stacy,
I want you to know that this story has truly blessed my heart. I first heard you sing at a Ladies Winter Retreat at the Grace Church of the Nazarene a few years ago. I was so moved to hear you play and sing and to even see Angels preform one of your song in sign language, WOW... What a blessing. I bought your CD's and when I got home and began to listen to one of the it really struck me to my inner being, "Because you Believed". I have a teenage daughter that loves to sing and preform in plays and other community events. When I first heard that song all I could do was cry. God sent that song to me for my daughter. She was going through a hard a tough time and one Wednesday night after church I made her sit in our van and listen to your song. She cried, I cried. I said baby this is just for you and told her that she could do anything if she would just believe. i really want to see this one posted on your blog or on You Tube for that matter. you have a God given talent and I know that you will get above the top of that tree one day. God Bless you.