Tuesday, February 2, 2010

You're a What? From Where?


My name is Stacy Beam, like the whiskey, NOT the pinto. People often mistake me for a female, (that's why I grew a beard,) or just assume I must be gay, which is fine as long as they don't automatically start asking me for color consultations or the best place for a good back wax. I am a Horse Show Organist, and I'm from Arab, Alabama.

So when I meet people, or go to a party, I gotta whole lotta' splainin' to do.

Looks like with all that going on, at least one of those things could be just a little bit more normal. Right?

Like maybe I could be named Bob, or Roy, or Jason! Or have been unusually gifted at football... or finance... or even taxidermy! At least people know what you're talking about when you say "I do taxidermy!"

I think I'm just going to start breaking it down for people before I get all the usual questions like:

You mean like at Rodeos?
NO, it's not a rodeo!
NO, I wouldn't rather play at baseball games!
NO, I didn't mean to say "a"-rub, that's in another country!
YES, you can make a living at that!
and YES, in 1974, Stacy, apparently WAS an extremely popular name for little boys in Arab, Alabama!

And yes, there is medicine for it. And... believe it or not, I'm beginning to be somewhat OK with all of that.

You wonder why I write a blog? I'm DESPERATELY seeking others somewhat like myself!

Whatever. I'm unique. Get used to it.. I've been trying to for my whole, entire life.

6 comments:

the beam team said...

Uniquely perfect for me! Love you, babe!

Emily said...

i'm pretty sure this world would be way worse off without you in it!!

Unknown said...

I read this when you posted it and couldn't come up with a good response. Basically, I am so inspired by you and how full of joy you are that it's nearly impossible for me to imagine you struggling with your "uniqueness."  I can see the usual struggle of the amazingly talented:  being self-judging/overly perfectionistic, scrounging for money, trying to stick to your beliefs when the brass ring is dangled in front of you. THOSE I can see. But you personally struggling with your uniqueness ... frankly, seems like a man struggling to carry a chest full of gold.  One of the things I most respect you for is that you make your living doing what you actually enjoy doing (not to mention are spectacular at and use your talents to do). And the fact that you have managed to become an enlightened, soul-searching kinda guy, having come from our mutual home town, makes you nothing short of a phenomenon!

I may just thank God in my prayers tonight that you are NOT in FOOTBALL, finance, or taxidermy.  You're totally right when you say that people know what those things mean when making introductions. But, for me at least, that's also where the conversation would lose all interest!  God bless the unique people of the world! 

Matt Kennedy said...

I've spent months of my life and thousands of dollars in little offices with soft lighting and comfy chairs trying to get to the place you got to in this entry. I smiled big when reading it. Your delivery is flawless.

See you at CF soon...my nemesis :)

Jennifer Maze Hyatt said...

I know this blog is old, but I still had to comment. Stacy Beam, you are amazing. For all the people who have ever judged, assumed or insulted you really missed out on the blessing they would have received by getting to be your friend. Gods light shines through you. You are contagious in a fantastic way and I love you very mucy!!! Your new addition will be very blessed to have a father like you. Love Always!!!

Jennifer Maze Hyatt said...

I know this blog is old, but I still had to comment. Stacy Beam, you are amazing. For all the people who have ever judged, assumed or insulted you really missed out on the blessing they would have received by getting to be your friend. Gods light shines through you. You are contagious in a fantastic way and I love you very mucy!!! Your new addition will be very blessed to have a father like you. Love Always!!!