Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I Love Roller Coasters/Turning Art Into Money



Sorry for that repulsive picture of myself in that last post. What was I thinking!? I thought it was funny at the time, but now every time I check my blog I think it is less funny and more just scary.

Today I worked on my new horse show CD, Swingin' in the Saddle. I want to talk about what I do, and how I got to do it. I know so many musically talented people who have almost forgotten that part of who they are. In most school music settings, the obvious realistic options for making money in a music related field are, school music teacher, member of an orchestra, opera singer, hmm, that's about it as I remember.

That is not the real world. People need music in all kinds of places. And they will pay for it! You just have to find those places, and be able to deliver what they want. Here are just a few of the places I have been able to turn music into money: parties of every kind, church, theme parks, dinner theatre, piano bars, country clubs, weddings, funerals, and last but far from least, horse shows. I played my first horse show when I was maybe sixteen in my hometown of Arab, Alabama for the local Park and Recreation's yearly fundraiser. Now, almost twenty years later, I earn 90% of my income from playing horse shows all over the US. The other 10% comes from church work, parties, and other miscellaneous gigs.

I guess what I'm getting around to is, if you just listen only to what you learn in school, and aren't willing to do something that isn't perfectly laid out before you with step by step instructions, then chances are you will not make much money from music, or any of the creative arts for that matter. Do not hear me saying that I didn't learn a lot in school, I am saying that in my line of work, and probably plenty of others, school is just a starting point for your education. You become the Dean of Students when you get that diploma. You must always be learning.

Right now I am reading Andy Andrew's book, "The Noticer." I think the main point he makes in this book is a principle that has been working for me for quite a while now. Opportunities are everywhere, you simply have to pay attention and notice what is going on around you. You have to be flexible, identify the voices in your life that bring you up, and then you must listen closely.

I can name a short list of people who have mentored me and they are all voices that I still hear often. They are like Andrew's character named Jones. They noticed me, and I noticed them. Then God added his blessing and I am thankful for that.

If you are an artist of any sort, find a place to do your art. Find the people who respond to what you do. Notice those opportunities, and those people who are trying to guide you toward the path that God preordained for you long before you were born. Yea, it might feel a little like a roller coaster ride, but I LOVE roller coasters!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
might , probably curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct partner utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
I make 2G daily, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://gabigilihy.wtcsites.com/qikakuny.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hello everyone!
I would like to burn a theme at this forum. There is such a thing, called HYIP, or High Yield Investment Program. It reminds of financial piramyde, but in rare cases one may happen to meet a company that really pays up to 2% daily not on invested money, but from real profits.

For quite a long time, I earn money with the help of these programs.
I don't have problems with money now, but there are heights that must be conquered . I make 2G daily, and my first investment was 500 dollars only.
Right now, I managed to catch a guaranteed variant to make a sharp rise . Visit my web site to get additional info.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

Anonymous said...

Gentian violet is a treatment for candida for quite some time. It might be bought at most pharmacies. Utilize it to swab the affected region twice per day. Then, make sure to wear a mat, as gentian violet will spot your apparel or some other substance, it will come into exposure to. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Spinh5u78[/url]