Thursday, August 27, 2009

Happy Ending to a Happy Beginning


Yea, we had a grand opening for our Etsy shop about a month ago, and it went really well. The only thing that didn't go exactly as planned was that we were so busy making the grand opening into the huge, smashing success that it was, that we neglected to actually do the work of getting the stuff posted and available. So really, it was a grand preview for a grand opening that was coming soon.

Not a failure, just a slight miscommunication. It reminds me of a funny story that my Mamma likes to tell about me. As a kid, I had a reputation as the kid with the best Halloween parties in town, or maybe even in the whole of Marshall county. We had elaborate costumes, witches on pulleys that flew across the yard, cakes that burst into flames, once we even had a real headless horseman! Oh, and always, always, a casket with a "dead" person popping out. Huge fun right?

Well, one particular year, I had made all my preparations for the party, I may have already been suited up in my Vampire costume, that was almost always my costume of choice, and Mamma found me crying in my room. "What in the world is it?" She asked.

"I forgot to invite anybody." I boo hooed.

The story has a happy ending. My sweet Mamma got on the phone and called all my friend's Mammas. We had a big crowd that night, and my party was a success. Well, I did accidentally set the haunted piano on fire, (this year Dracula happened to get inspired to play a lot of minor chords on the upright piano in the haunted living room/dining room, and there had to be a candelabra and the best place for it to go was the little shelf where the music goes... there's a ledge above that that I didn't notice was right over the candle's flame.) We got it put out without having to call the fire department. Fortunately, my dad was on hand and he was a volunteer fireman at the time. You know this is all true. How or why in the world could I make it up?

In the photo, you see me re-living my past. Only this time I'm at a horse show on Halloween, and I'm getting paid to play those same minor chords I played while setting my poor parent's piano on fire. Sorry y'all. Does anybody else think I look like my Dad in this picture? I feel a little old looking at it.



I got in big trouble, but you know it was so worth it. What is a piano playing Dracula without a candelabra?

Back to the awaken shop. Today, you can go online to shopawaken.etsy.com and shop for our neat, one-of-a-kind, stuff. I really mean it this time. And just like the Halloween party, I pray this story has a happy ending to a happy beginning.

No comments: